Manufacturing and Process Industry Mechanical Fitter Apprenticeship
We are investing heavily in innovative engineering and manufacturing technology and apprentices are key to helping us deliver our vision.
Our Manufacturing & Process Industry Mechanical Apprentice Program is designed to create the mechanics of the future. As a Manufacturing & Process Industry Mechanical Apprentice, you will have the opportunity to develop mechanical skills and will learn how to maintain manufacturing and packaging equipment – carrying out routine maintenance, diagnosing and resolving breakdowns, and helping to design, install and test new equipment.
What does a Manufacturing & Process Industry Mechanical Fitter Apprenticeship involve?
Our Manufacturing & Process Industry Mechanical Fitter apprenticeship is a paid, four-year program. You will attend classes part-time, studying theory elements of the apprenticeship and gaining some practical workshop experience. In addition, you will spend time in the production facility learning new skills while rotating through various engineering roles across the site. Your rotations may include time in manufacturing, packaging, or maintenance.
Your apprenticeship will combine on-the-job learning with a program of training and development. Your role may involve:
- Develop mechanical skills using a variety of factory/maintenance shop and specialty tools
- Safely diagnose equipment problems and take corrective action to achieve optimum efficiency
- Maintain production equipment and carry out routine preventative maintenance
- Diagnose and resolve breakdowns
- Help design, install and test new equipment
What will this apprenticeship offer me?
Our Manufacturing & Process Industry Mechanical apprenticeship offers you the chance to study towards nationally recognised qualifications while gaining valuable, paid work experience. You will work towards a qualification at one of GSK’s partnering TAFEs or technical institutions with the potential to go on to further study.
What qualifications do I need to apply?
To be eligible for our apprenticeship program, you will need:
- Eligible to work in Australia – You must be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident and eligible to work in Australia.
- VCE – Completion of High School Certificate.
- Must be 18 years of age upon cpmmencement of the program
- If successful in the position you must be willing to enrol and meet entry requirements with one of GSK’s partnering TAFE’s in the preferred related instruction course.
- Year 12, or equivalent, Math & English – expected pass mark (or equivalent) of 60%.
- Experience (less than 2 years) in engineering or technical role (intern or shadowing opportunity)
Where will I be based?
Our apprenticeships run for four years at our Boronia site in Victoria.